Long Shunt and Short Shunt DC Compound Machine:
In short shunt DC Compound Machine, shunt filed winding is connected across the Armature whereas in Long shunt connection it is connected across the line terminal. But there is no difference in operating characteristic in two types of machine.
DC Shunt Generator Characteristics:
There are four basic quantities related to generator namely speed n, Terminal Voltage Vt , Armature Current Iaand Field Current If.
The graphical relationship between two quantities while maintaining other two quantities constant is known as characteristics of Generator. Basically, there are four characteristics of any Generator:
1. No load Characteristics:– Relationship between Ea and If. Ea = f(If)
2. Load Characteristics:– Relationship between Vt and If. Vt= f(If)
3. External Characteristics:- Relationship between Vt and IL. Vt= f(IL)
4. Armature / Regulation Characteristics:– Relationship between If and Ia. If = f(Ia)
1. No load and Load Characteristics:
2. External Characteristics:
3. Armature Characteristics: