The core type transformers have many advantages over shell type transformers as follows:
- The core is greater than shell but the circular coils that are used are easier to wind.
- Provide more mechanical strength especially when short circuit occurs.
- High space factor and reduced mean length of turns resulting in reduced copper losses.
- Longer mean length of iron core.
- Smaller Cross-section of iron so greater number of turns.
- Provides more space for insulation making it best suited for EHV requirements.
- Don’t require more specialized fabrication facilities.
- Offers an additional advantage of permitting visual inspection of coils in case of faults.
- Ease of repair at substation site.
Due to all this advantages in present practice core type transformers are use in large high voltages installations.