There are ample of opportunities for a fresh Electrical Engineering Graduate to get a Core Job. The only thing which one should know that “In which direction and how one should proceed”. Many Graduates think that their CGPA / DGPA is not good enough and get disappointed. I personally want to say them, if you have got talent, nobody can stop you. You just need a focused and planned study. I am here going to describe some of the ways using which one can get core job in India.
Following are some of the ways through which one can get Electrical Engineering Core Job in India.
- Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs)
- Indian Engineering Service (IES)
- Staff Selection Commission (SSC)
- Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)
- Independent Recruitment Exams
- Campus Recruitments (Only in Selected Premier institutes like IISc, IITs and few NITs)
- Private Companies
- Pre-Placement offer Through Internship
- Campus Recruitment
- Off- Campus Recruitment
- Job Fair
PSUs in India provide excellent career starting for fresher’s with very lucrative pay and allowances.
IES crackers would get ultra premier career start. They will be absorbed directly as Executives in different Govt. Sectors like Indian Railways, Military Engineering Services etc. Cracking IES is not easier though.
SSC JE exam is conducted every year to fill vacancies in some Government agencies like Central Public Works Department that approach Staff Selection Commission.
Having a valid GATE, EE Score, one can appear for recruitment process of most of the PSUs in India. One will start your career here as Executive Trainee / Graduate Engineer Trainee / Management Trainee.
List of PSUs that accepts GATE- EE Score:
- Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd.(PGCIL)
- Bhaba Atomic Research Centre (BARC)
- Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO)
- National Thermal Power Corporation Ltd.(NTPC)
- Neyveli Lignite Corporation (NLC)
- National Hydro Power Corporation Ltd.(NHPC)
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd. (BHEL)
- Bharat Electronics Ltd.( BEL)
- Central Electronics Ltd. (CEL)
- Oil and Natual Gas Corporation. (ONGC)
- Gas Authority of India Ltd.(GAIL)
- Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.(IOCL)
- Coal India Ltd.(CIL)
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd (HPCL)
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd. ( BPCL)
- Punjab State Power Corporation Ltd.(PSPCL)
- Himachal Pradesh Power Corporation Ltd.(HPPCL)
- Punjab State Transmission Corporation Ltd.(PSTCL)
- Bihar State Power Holding Company Ltd. (BSPHCL)
- West Bengal State Electricity Distribution Company Ltd.(WBSEDCL)
- Orissa Power Generation Corporation (OPGC)
- Tehri Hydro Development Company Ltd. (THDC)
- Indian Railway Construction Company Ltd. (IRCON International)
- Rail Vikas Nigam Limited (RVNL)
- Rail India Technical and Economic Services (RITES Ltd.)
- Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd.(HAL)
- Mazagon Dock Limited( MDL)
- National Fertilizers Ltd. (NFL)
- National Aluminium Company Ltd.(NALCO)
Independent Recruitment Exams:
Several PSUs conduct their own recruitment exams to find talents and fill their vacancies. Some of them are,
- Indian Railways:
Indian railways recruit Electrical Engineers for the post of Junior Engineer(JE), Sectional Engineer (SE) and Senior Section Engineer(SSE) through Railway Recruitment Boards(RRB) across the country.
- All State governmental Generation
- Transmission Corporations except those mentioned under GATE.
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL)
- Chennai Petroleum Corporation Ltd.(CPCL)
- All State governmental Public Service Commission’s (Kerala State Public Service Commission [KSPSC] for an instance).
- Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited, NPCIL
Alongside the above mentioned ways, many companies do choose to visit few Premier Institutes in India such as IISc, IITs, NITs and BITS, Pilani to recruit fresh talents.
Private companies have their own style of recruiting talents. Few majors do pay as high as PSUs to attract fresh talents. List of Private Power/ Energy firms in India are as follows:
- ABB India Ltd.
- General Electric (Includes Alstom Grid and Areva Grid)
- Schneider electric
- Adani Power
- JSW Energy
- Essar Energy
- Jindal Steel and Power
- Tata Power
- Tata Power links
- Tata Consulting Engineers
- L&T (ECC, Power, Electric automation)
- Reliance Power
- Suzlon Energy
- Yokogawa India
- Wartsilá India
- Robert Bosch
- Orient Electric ( CK Birla group)
- Crompton Greaves
- Fortum India Ltd
- Torrent Power
- BGR Energy
- Sterlite Energy
- Oriental Green Power
- Rattan India Power
- Bhushan Steel
- Toshiba Power
- Ashok Leyland
- Tata Motors
- KSK Energy Ventures
- Rolls Royce (Turbine)
- Real Ispat & Power
- Renew Power Ventures Pvt. Ltd.
- Pothigai Power
- Lanco Infratech
- Luminous Power systems
- Welspun Energy
- Waree Energy Ltd. and many more.
Pre-palcement (through Internship):
Internships in private companies are the best opportunities one can get to show his / her talents and skills to attract HR Department to offer them a job prior to final year. Many of the companies release such offers.
Off Campus Recruitment:
Most of the private companies conduct off campus recruitments / walk-ins also whenever appropriate vacancy arises.
One can follow Glassdoor, Linked Jobs, Jobs – Recruitment – Job Search – Employment – Job Vacancies – Naukri.com, Monster Jobs – Job Search, Career Advice & Hiring Resources and many other available online Job portals to know when these firms keep their doors open.
It is worth to mention here that, sometimes one may receive fake calls / mails in the name of these portals from some frauds to loot our money. So be cautious while dealing with that.
One can also attend job fairs whenever conducted, where one can get a chance to pursue core career from private companies. However good companies usually don’t participate in Job fairs. One can always start their career in small firm and switch to majors with his / her experience.
Best of Luck! It will be my pleasure to be a part of your journey so don’t hesitate to ask. Thank you!