As we know that Rotor Conductors of Squirrel Cage Induction Motor are skewed. It is not straight conductor as shown in figure below.
Rotor conductors are skewed because of the following reasons:
- Primarily to prevent the Cogging Phenomenon. It is a phenomenon in which, if the rotor conductors are straight, there are chances of magnetic locking or strong coupling between Rotor & Stator.
- To avoid Crawling. Crawling is a phenomenon where harmonic components introduces oscillations in torque.
- Increased rotor resistance due to comparatively lengthier rotor conductor bars.
- To improve the starting torque & starting power factor.
- Increasing effective magnetic coupling between Stator & Rotor fluxes.